Peace be with you and those you love

This has been another fascinating year in the life of the Paddy Leigh Fermor blog and I have enjoyed every moment. There have been many highlights. Artemis Cooper’s wonderful biography exceeded expectations, and for 2013 we have the news that Vol Three will be published and is to be called the Broken Road.

I think the dominant theme for the first few months of next year will be the house at Kardamyli. There is a groundswell of opinion about doing something to ensure that the fabric of the house is not only maintained, but that real progress can be made towards Paddy’s dream of a writers retreat. The Benaki is facing cutback after cutback. It seems to me that we will all have to help in some way or another.

But that is for another time. Now is the time to reflect on the year that has passed and the year ahead. Also to celebrate, if that is your faith, the birth of Christ. We all love Paddy’s words but I doubt that many would disagree that the introduction to Saint John’s Gospel in the King James Bible is perhaps the most beautiful in the whole of the English language.

Peace be with you and those you love this Christmas time.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The same was in the beginning with God.

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “Peace be with you and those you love

1. Dieter

Thank you, Tom, for the great work in running this blog. Keep on the good work. And great to hear that 2013 will bring ‘Broken Road’! All the best, Dieter

2. Juliet Sherwood

I’m delighted to have access to this blog. I read Paddy’s two books about his trek from the Horn of Holland to Istanbul several years ago, and my interest in him has only grown since then, especially after spending a few weeks on Crete last summer.
    Juliet Sherwood

3. George

Just finished the opus by Artemis Cooper……..sad and grateful, at the same time, that so many personae should inhabit one body and that Artemis was able to convey their substance to the reader.

Thank you for this site Tom.

Best to all.

G.

4. Julian

And a very merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous new year to all as well! Sorry, meant to say that too (and my wife has just reminded me that that passage is usually the last part of the service – I’d like to blame my (Exclusive Brethren) upbringing but I should know better by now…)

5. Julian

As to the house, is there perhaps somewhere we can donate to a fund?

On a different note, but hopefully related, the Etz-Hayyim Synagogue in Chania has had a really bad time with anti-Semitic attacks over the last few years. Could people spare a little for them too? Paddy fought for Crete and Greece and freedom and it’s the most beautiful place…

I have no connection with them other than having been there and loved it and felt very sad that a very special place has suffered so badly.

Sorry for the thread hijack if you see it that way (but it wasn’t meant that way)

Julian

6. Julian

That is the most beautiful passage, and it reminds me of hearing it in Winchester Cathedral at the start of the carol service. Thank you.

7. Brent McCunn

PLF biography appeared in hardback at a local suburban bookshop near my office in Melbourne. This was 2 weeks ago, in time for the Christmas rush.