An article found on the King’s School website. Paddy opens a new boarding house to replace the one where he spent his all too brief time at King’s!
First posted on the King’s School Canterbury website on 9th September 2007
The New Grange was officially opened at 12.15 pm on Sunday 9 September by Sir Patrick Leigh Fermor DSO OBE. Sir Patrick was a boy in the original Grange from 1929 to 1931, shortly after it became an independent house in 1928. He unveiled a plaque with an appropriate Latin inscription*, and spoke of his early days in The Grange and the effect of the School and the Precincts on his upbringing. He then cut a ribbon to declare the house formally open.
*in translation: “On 9th September 2007 Sir Patrick Leigh Fermor, once a pupil in the original Grange (and even then an outstanding free spirit) and, later, greatly daring in war and creative in letters, through his life an example to the young people of this School, inaugurated this building, so that the glory of the latter House might be greater – if that were possible – than of the former.”
The house is next to Harvey House on the St Augustine’s site. It overlooks the ruins of St Augustine’s Abbey.
Pingback: The words of Mercury are harsh after the songs of Apollo: Meeting Patrick Leigh Fermor | Patrick Leigh Fermor
Pingback: A combination of prefab, garage and potting shed « Patrick Leigh Fermor
Pingback: King’s School Canterbury: Death of Sir Patrick Leigh Fermor « Patrick Leigh Fermor
Pingback: The words of Mercury are harsh after the songs of Apollo: Meeting Patrick Leigh Fermor « Patrick Leigh Fermor